Friday, January 18, 2008

Made in China

Every Thursday Caleb has Show & Tell, and every week it's a different theme. 

This weeks theme was "Something from China or Japan". Rob was supposed to bring Caleb some rocks he had at work that were from China.  I figured I didn't need to worry about it since dad had already taken care of it. 

Thursday morning I rushed Caleb to daycare so I could get to work. I was already running behind and completely forgot to ask Caleb if he had his Show & Tell for the day. In fact, it wasn't until about 1:45 p.m that it hit me. 

I sank down in my car feeling extremely guilty. I had these horrible thoughts of my son remembering it was Show & Tell the moment he got to school and sobbing because his teacher wouldn't let him call his mommy. I pictured his sad face, distraught at the thought of not being able to share. I imagined his little heart breaking as everyone around him eagerly thrust their hands into the air, waving them frantically, for the teacher to call on them. I thought..."What a horrible mom I am!"

This morning we were waiting in the van at the bus stop.  Caleb was eating his lunch and I remembered that I wanted to apologize for forgetting his Show & Tell. 

Mom: Sweetie, I'm sorry I forgot to give you something for Show & Tell yesterday.

Caleb: You mean the one from China?

Mom: Yes.

Caleb: Oh. I took my airplane. It said,  Made. In. China.



No comments: